Friday, December 30, 2011

Silent Prayer Answered

Just before Christmas I was laid off. Why I was laid off is a long story for another day. I started making phone calls and interviewing the very next day and on the December 16th, two weeks after losing my job, I was offered a new position with an amazing company.

That certainly was a prayer answered but it would not be the only prayer to be answered this Christmas season.

We received notice in early December from USCIS that we were to appear for our biometrics (fancy word for more fingerprinting). Not having a job made pursuing an adoption unrealistic and my heart was heavy. However, we already paid for the I600a and not showing up for the appointment would have been a waste of the money. I prayed daily leading up to the appointment telling God that I believed in His will and that I would serve His children in any way I was called even if that meant that we wouldn't be bringing home a child to our family.

December 21st arrived and we went early in the morning for our appointment. Todd went first and with his fingerprinting complete, he left to run errands with the kids. I went next and finished my fingerprints a few minutes later.

As I left the office and walked to my truck I said the simple prayer I have been saying over and over for months, "God this is all in your hands and I trust in your plan. I know it was you calling us to care for orphans and I will do whatever it is that you ask of me....even if it means we're not adopting....I will patiently wait for your plans to be revealed."

I got in my truck, started my car and turned my phone's ringer back on. My status line was showing I had just received my daily verse from the app Daily Bible. I tapped on the icon and the day's verse read.


And whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me.
                                               Matthew 8:15

I can't remember a time that I received a more clear cut, timely and direct answer to a prayer before that morning. I believed before that we were answering a call from God but now I hold on to that answered prayer knowing that in His time we will be called upon to say yes to a child who deserves to grow up in a family.